Join the team for up to 3 months
Our 4 -12 week internships are available year round.
Competition for placements is very high and there are limited placements each month.
Explore your passion for African Wildlife Conservation!
UmPhafa Private Nature Reserve offers internships to people who have a passion and an interest to learn about conservation and Reserve Management. Whether you are studying some form of Nature Conservation or would just like to have the experience of a lifetime our internship is for you.
The internships are by run by our Reserve Management Team which ensures that interns are mentored by our most senior and experienced staff members. It is a fantastic and rare opportunity to work alongside a team with many years of experience and gain creditable work experience whilst knowing that your contribution is having a direct influence on the well-being of the flora and fauna on the reserve.
How to become an intern
Interviews are held at Colchester Zoo or by phone or Skype once an application has been completed. The minimum stay is 4 weeks and placements are available year round. After successful application, scheduled dates of placement will be allocated based on the applicant’s preferred month of commencement.
Action for the Wild is a non-profit organisation and therefore internships must be self-supported.
A contribution of £1220 for stays of four weeks.
An additional £620 per four weeks thereafter will be required.
– Airport pick-up and drop off (Durban King Shaka airport)
– Long term experienced staff
– Safe and basic accommodations (usually shared)
– WiFi at Elworthy House
– All meals
– Welcome induction and location orientation
– All necessary project equipment and materials
– Research training
– Wildlife identification techniques
– Teamwork experience
– 24-hour in-country support
– Confidential professional reference (where requested)
– Medical and travel insurance
– Visa costs (if necessary)
– Personal kit
– Extra local excursions and personal shopping
Download the full information pack here.